Component 2: Experience Path "B"
Please note, there are 2 different "paths" that can be used to complete the experience component. You only need to complete 1 path to earn the certificate.
Here are the requirements if you are completing the experience component using Path "B":
Attend 3 art events from 3 different arts areas. Example: 1 dance performance, 1 design lecture, and 1 visual art exhibition. Attendance may be completed over multiple semesters. After attending an arts event, you will have two week to complete a guided writing assignment reflecting on the event.
- All KU theatre performances
- All performances and art-related talks at the Lied Center & master classes
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Spencer Museum of Art
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Nelson Atkins
- All School of Music events
- Senior recitals, thesis exhibitions, and student showcases
- Visiting artists and art-related lectures on campus (e.g. at The Commons, Kansas Union, Hall Center, departmental guest artists, etc.)
- Optional, hands-on workshops offered by participating Arts Engagement Departments
- Film screenings with discussions
- Artist talks, exhibitions, and theatre, music, and dance performances at the Lawrence Arts Center
- Artist talks and exhibitions at the Student Union Gallery in the Kansas Union
- All exhibitions at the Art and Design Building Gallery
Complete a semester long, hands-on arts experience. This is not an all-encompassing list but can include things like:
- A third class with a “studio” focus (actively making, doing, producing, performing, etc. creative works). This class needs to be in a different school/department than the 2 classes used to fulfill the coursework requirement for the certificate.
- Arts related internship or employment on case-by-case basis
- Participating in campus music, theatre, or dance productions.
After this experience, you will complete a written reflection (at least 600 words) and submit some kind of artifact from your experience. This can be photo documentation of a project with descriptions, video, content that you produced during an internship, a final reflection that was required to complete a class, etc. Please e-mail email@example.com if you have questions about what kind of artifact to submit.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions about whether or not a semester-long experience can be counted toward the certificate. Approval before the experience begins highly recommended. All experiences need to be completed during your time at the University of Kansas.