Completing your certificate
The Arts Engagement Certificate requires three different components: classes, experiences, and written reflections. Classes and experiences can happen in any order. Most students will attend events during the same semesters that they are taking qualifying courses. The final written reflection should be completed after the coursework and event attendance is completed.
To register for the Arts Engagement Certificate:
- Complete the registration form here.
- Follow directions provided by your certificate coordinator via email to access Jayhawk Ready.
Complete at least 2 arts classes, totaling a minimum of 6 credit hours, with a grade of C or better. These 2 classes should each be from a different school/department.
All classes offered by the following schools and departments qualify:
|Film & Media Studies||History of Art|
|Visual Art||Honors classes taught by arts faculty|
There are two options to choose from in completing this certificate requirement:
- Attend 6 art events from 3 different arts areas. (These can be any events offered on campus). Example: 2 dance performances, 2 design lectures, and 2 visual art exhibitions. Write a reflection over each event and submit it on Jayhawk Ready within 2 weeks event attendance.
- Attend 3 art events from 3 different arts areas. Write a reflection over each event and submit it on Jayhawk Ready within 2 weeks of event attendance.
- Complete a semester long, hands-on arts experience (e.g., an additional class - in a different school/department than the courses used to fulfill the coursework requirement - producing creative work; an arts-related internship; or participating in campus music, theatre, or dance productions). Then, submit a written reflection (at least 600 words) and some kind of artifact from your experience on Jayhawk Ready. This can be photo documentation of a project with descriptions, video, content that you produced during an internship, a final reflection that was required to complete a class, etc.
You must complete either Option A or Option B to satisfy this component of the certificate.
Most arts events offered at the University of Kansas will count toward the Arts Engagement Certificate. Here is a general list of arts venues and types of arts events that can be count toward your certificate:
- All KU theatre performances
- All performances and art-related talks at the Lied Center & master classes
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Spencer Museum of Art
- All exhibitions, performances, and art related talks at Nelson Atkins
- All School of Music events
- Senior recitals, thesis exhibitions, and student showcases
- Visiting artists and art-related lectures on campus (e.g. at The Commons, Kansas Union, Hall Center, departmental guest artists, etc.)
- Optional, hands-on workshops offered by participating Arts Engagement Departments
- Film screenings with discussions
- Artist talks, exhibitions, and theatre, music, and dance performances at the Lawrence Arts Center
- Art Lectures at the Lawrence Public Library
- Artist talks and exhibitions at the Student Union Gallery in the Kansas Union
- All exhibitions at the Art and Design Building Gallery
- Final Fridays (Lawrence) or First Fridays (Kansas City) are fine to attend for visual art; however, you need to write about a specific work of art or exhibition.
If you have questions about whether or not an event can count, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
If you plan to complete a certificate program in any given semester, you should apply to graduate from the certificate program even if you still have additional classes or experiences in progress.
The deadline to apply to graduate from a certificate in any semester can be found on the Office of the University Registar's calendar as "Undergraduate Application for Graduation Deadline."
Your certificate will be added to your academic transcript after degrees post for the semester in which you completed the certificate requirements.